Download whatever you want from the newsgroups
Do you have one of those friends that always seems to get the latest Wii, DS, Xbox 360 games, PC/Mac applications, roms, movies, PSP, DVDX or PS3? Some of them are probably using some P2P or Torrent client, but those are always unreliable and you have to wait forever. Most of them are probably grabbing their files from a newsgroup. Newsgroups will allow you to download whatever you want really fast! Today we're going to explain step-by-step how to use the newsgroups to grab whatever you want from MP3s to Wii stuff. Before I continue, I want to let you know that good newsgroups are not free. They usually charge a small fee every month for unlimited downloads. The newsgroup I will be using today is Astraweb.. they charge $11/month for unlimited download of everything! :) Along with the newsgroup account, you will need a newsgroup reader. We will be using GrabIt today - Grabit is a free newsgroup reader.
- Okay, if you're ready to roll, the first thing you need is an account with Astraweb, head over here and sign up.
- Now that you have an account with Astraweb, download and install GrabIt here.
- Now lets setup GrabIt. Here are the settings for Grabit:
- Profile Name: Whatever you want to put in here
- Hostname: us.secure.news.astraweb.com
- Port: 443
- Account Name: Put the username you created with Astraweb
- Password: Put the password you set with Astraweb
- Click on "Encrypted server connection (SSL)"
- Bring the slider for "Maximum allowed connections" to 20 connections
Now that you're setup to download whatever you want, here's how to find stuff. The easiest way to find stuff is to visit NZB sites. NZB are XML files that contain all the files for a particular game, movie etc. One of the popular NZB sites is NZBMatrix - they're a free service that lists all the latest releases (DVDs, Wii, Nintendo DS, Xbox360 etc). Head over to the site, create an account for yourself (free of course) and start browsing. After you've created an account, you'll be able to download the .NZB file for the item your looking for. When you download the NZB file, just unzip it with your favorite uncompressor (WinZip, WinRAR or 7-zip) and let Grabit do it's job.
Once Grabit completes the download, it will run a Par program to check to see if all the files needed were downloaded. If so, it will combine and uncompress all the files for you. For example, if you downloaded a free Wii game, you'll end up with a .ISO file. This .ISO file needs to be burned onto a DVD-r using IMGBurn (another free program). Let me know if you have any questions.