Playing the Original Super Mario Bros on your PC, Mac and Nintendo DS
After playing countless hours of the New Super Mario Bros., you kind of jones a bit for the original Super Mario Bros. We've put together a little guide on how to get the original Super Mario Bros on your PC, Mac or Nintendo DS.
Let's start off with the Nintendo DS since its a sweet portable unit and it would feel like home for Mario to be on some new Nintendo hardware. First you're going to need some sort of Nintendo DS storage device - we're going to use the R4DS (any other compatible unit will do). Next you're going to need the NES emulator for the Nintendo DS and the Super Mario Bros game rom. The game rom will be a little tricky to acquire as it's not legal to distribute. We've written a little post on how to find roms using Google. You could also head over to this site and download one of the modified Super Mario Bros roms. It's basically the same exact game with a few different graphical changes that people have made. Ok, so now that you have the Nintendo DS NES emulator and Super Mario Bros rom, lets get started!
Getting the original Super Mario Bros onto your Nintendo DS:
- Plug your microSD into your computer
- Copy the nesDS.nds onto the microSD
- Create a directory called 'ROMS' on your microSD (this is optional, it just makes it more organized if you plan on adding more NES games)
- Copy the Super Mario Bros game rom into the ROMS directory you just created.
- Plug the microSD back in your storage device (we're using the R4 Revolution for DS).
- Boot up your DS and launch nesDS.nds
- Once nesDS has booted, you'll see the contents of your microSD on the bottom screen of your DS. Select the ROMs directory you created and within there you'll see the original Super Mario Bros. Click on the Super Mario Bros rom and you'll be on your way back to 1985 nostalgia.
nesDS has a bunch of cool features like Save State where you can save your game anywhere and resume it later. My favorite feature is sort of a Rewind button. The left paddle button acts like a rewind.. so if you die in Super Mario Bros, just press the left paddle and the game will rewind what you just played. Just let go where you'd like to resume. It's sort of cheating, but what the heck!
Getting the original Super Mario Bros onto your PC:
- Download the NES emulator for PC, Jnes (v0.6)
- Unzip and run the .exe
- Load the Super Mario Bros. rom up and play!
Getting the original Super Mario Bros onto your Mac:
- Download the NES emulator for MAC, Nestopia (v1.4.0) for OS X
- Double Click on the 'nestopia-140.dmg' file.
- Load the Super Mario Bros rom file.